How Products Are Made

Forum

Made How » Forum

Need imm info on Abrasion for Tiles

Need imm info on Abrasion for Tiles

Postby Guest » 31 Aug 2007, 17:57

Hi,

I am into making of tiles. The ingredients of the mix are OPC-Grey Cement & Sand (at 1:2 ratio), Water (at 0.25 to 0.28 coefficient), Super plasticizer and Colors (Synthetic pigments). These are mixed, poured into moulds (Rubber moulds & HIPS moulds), vibrated & stacked, de-molded after 24 hours, and cured for a period of 7 days. The thickness of the tile varies from 8mm to 20mm.

I have the following problems, which I am unable to solve and seek advice:

1. My final Tile is very weak at abrasion resistance. Even if you scratch with your finger, it forms scratches, which does not disappear in spite of wiping with cloth or water. Is there any solution to increase the abrasion resistance or make it scratch proof?

2. The tile is very water absorbent. If it is not coated with any sealer, and if water is allowed to stay on it for certain period till it dries, it leaves patches which are permanent.

3. I am coating my tile with epoxy & acrylic sealers (spray coating & sponge coating), which has solved the problem of water seepage and patch formation. But the abrasion resistance has gone even worse as the coating film formed on the tile gives out very easy scratches. How to solve this?

I need the solution to make my tile scratch / abrasion resistant, water-proof, and glossy. Please help me out with your valuable experience & expertise, as the deadlines to deliver the product is fast approaching

Thanks & regards

George Hart

Return to How Products Are Made Forum