How Products Are Made

Forum

Made How » Forum

Bicycles

Bicycles

Postby Abdullah » 10 Mar 2009, 22:03

I want to know who manufactures bicycles in the USA?
Abdullah

usa bike manufacturers

Postby Guest » 27 Sep 2009, 00:28

Though there are many USA bike companies, all they do is actually design the bike. The actual construction.manufactring or assembling is more often than not done in Taiwan. How do I know? Long story short, I'm in Taiwan and have friends who work for companies who do just that--the bike from here is then shipped to the USA

Re: Bicycles

Postby pollock » 03 Dec 2009, 06:03

they could be 'made' in Taiwan or china and 'assembled' in the states afterwards!
While some are, most American brand names are actually made in Taiwan where labour is cheaper and standards are almost as high, in fact alot of bike manufacturers are actually 'built' in the same factory!! . some that are though include...
Ellsworth, Titus, Trek (only higher end framesets thousands $$$$)
pollock

re:

Postby giantmonster » 10 Feb 2010, 02:58

Is there a compnay which makes bicycles in USA... They normally import it from taiwan and china...
giantmonster

Very few USA manufacturers

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2010, 18:45

That's a difficult question to answer, but 99% of all frames are manufactured in China, Taiwan, and a few in Vietnam. Many companies assemble frames or components in their USA facilities, but they do not actually manufacture them here. This is true for aluminum bikes....carbon fiber, titanium, and steel frames have more in-country fabricators.

To my knowledge, Intense Cycles is the only 100% USA-made frame....they use domestic aluminum tubing from Easton and everything is made in Temecula, CA.

In the specialty road/mtb category, there are a lot of boutique frame makers in the USA, as well as some high-end bmx'ers. Nearly all of their steel tubing comes from overseas, however.

Postby EmilyJackM » 31 Aug 2010, 16:07

very nice post,thanks
EmilyJackM

Postby dallasmerlin » 14 Dec 2010, 18:30

Thanks for this information. Is nice to know how bicycles are made
dallasmerlin

Return to How Products Are Made Forum