Page 1 of 1

1920's concrete block

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2007, 07:43
by jomercer
Anyone have a source for old blocks with the rough surface on one side? or where to get a mold to make them?

PostPosted: 09 May 2007, 09:50
by Guest
Any success finding 1920s style block?

PostPosted: 18 May 2007, 06:15
by jomercer
:cry: No, and I've been searching around for almost a year. I've tacked notes on the doors of decrepit houses with matching block (there are about 6 prevalent designs here) in my area that seem ripe for the wrecking ball, but no responses yet.

brick mold

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2007, 10:03
by hwhynot
Find an artist or sculptor to make a brick mold for you. I grew up in a town where the buildings were build with bricks where the mold was made by a blacksmith. The mold was made in 1905. The buildings are 4 stories and in great shape! Good luck!

Concrete block

PostPosted: 10 May 2008, 07:30
Just wanting 2 know what seethru clear glass-like concrete blocks are called. . Lookn 4 the term.

hubby has block machine

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 22:35
by Guest
Hi guys, interesting stuff, my hubby is a mason and just got an old block macnine like you say...I'm looking for motar mixes...any ideas

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 21:03
by jackie
Here in honduras there a lot of warehouses that sell that kind of block, i know that in mexico some people do those kind of machinery

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2009, 06:11
by Old Englan
For those of you that want a "textured" finished block - it's easy - stone masons use a special chisel that scores the front of a stone block. There's different chisels so that different textured finishes can be made. They do this for every block. If you're after making concrete blocks then all you need to do is make a mould - I have seen some steel moulds that can be used to make large construction concrete blocks or if your after small number of blocks there's the rubber moulding process. Good luck - but honestly take a look at concrete moulding or rubber (no prophylactic jokes thank you) moulding techniques via google and you should find your answer

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 08:55
by guest
I would not suggest making a mold...not so easy. Sounds to me like you're looking for some split face units. You need to find an architectural block manufacturer. There are many companies that do this. To achieve a rough texture on the face of a unit, during the production process the face shell is made extra thick, around 2" instead of 1 1/8", and then a machine called a splitter forces carbide blades into the unit on all 4 sides at the same time, removing material from the face and leaving behind a somewhat random texture, like a rough stone. There are other processes and equipment that can rough up units such as a rustic facing machine. This takes a normal Block and randomly chips material off the face shell (Largest side of the block)